Sunday, July 15, 2012

My last week in a nutshell..

Last week, I got the opportunity to go to Camp Lutherwood in Oregon. 
To start it off, the idea was totally weird to me, because like stated in previous blogs, I have been a Shoshone girl for almost 10 years. But I was given an opportunity to work with adults with disabilities which seemed like a great opportunity. I went with Nick and 3 other college age kids from church. I was pretty excited for another get away, but experienced some disappointments. 
I promise I will try to keep this post as positive as I can. 

I have gotten pretty used to long car rides, but this one was only half the length of what I am used to so that was a total plus on this adventure. When we got to camp, it was so different from what I am used too, and a lot less remote. The most irritating part was not being seen as an adult when we arrived, although they later informed us that was intentional, I don't quite agree with their tactics.
Having a bad first impression at camp is really similar to a bad first impression with a person, and it was hard for me to get over my initial reaction to things. It didn't help that I was not the only one feeling the frustration. Have you ever been around someone who has an attitude? I remember how contagious that is, and not that I want to blame someone else for my behavior and attitude, but lets just say it did not help. 

After a day and half of being irritated and comparing Lutherwood to Shoshone, it was finally time for the guests to arrive. I was very excited for this to happen and to get to the real focus on camp. The week with them consisted of many games of uno, lots of puzzles, and one rousing game of bingo. I loved every minute of hanging out with these people. I am sure it was way more eye opening to others to find how "normal"  these people are, but I already had a little idea because my best friend's brother is an adult with disability. And as for the communicating with others who can't communicate well, that part came a little easier as well because for 2 years I dealt with my grandmother who had a stroke and couldn't communicate well either. What it comes down to in those situations is you really just have to listen. Something a lot of people don't do well. I guess it is a skill that one must work on. 

The week overall was great, and I really wish I would have given myself an attitude adjustment from the get go, because I truly felt as if I missed out on things and didn't get all I could have gotten out of this trip because I was a debbie downer. If I had to pick out a favorite moment, it would be when I got to sit next to one of the campers, and we played bingo. I helped him out, and he really enjoyed the game. But what he enjoyed more was the fact that he got a number way more often then I did. In the time we played he got 3 bingo's, one of which was a blackout Bingo, while I got none. I am not quite sure how that is possible, but to see the fun that Will was having was worth more than a Bingo. 

And now jsut a few of my favorite pictures from the week. 








No comments:

Post a Comment